Thursday, February 17, 2011

little old lady

We have a lot of dogs in our neighborhood. And unfortunately, a disproportionate number of them are allowed to roam about, despite the leash laws. I have learned to just ignore the dogs running about, because I know that the vast majority of them have homes nearby and if I started 'rescuing' them, we'd either have dozens of foster dogs or a lot of angry neighbors (or both). This comes from experience...we have taken in four dogs in the past few years who lived within a block of our house. We had one of them for a week before his owners put up signs (they never even noticed the ones we'd put up).

Anyway, there are certain situations under which I'll still pick up a dog, and unfortunately I encountered one today....on our way home from the Bug's My Gym class, we saw a tiny dog in a blue coat limping across the road. I thought it was hurt, so had Miko get out to look at it. She wasn't hurt...she was blind. And ancient. And miserable, because of some sort of terrible skin condition. We figure the coat was there to keep her from scratching.

And of course, she has no collar.

I don't believe in hell, but I think that the universe would create one just for me if I had left that poor little dog in the road. So we now have another foster dog (we JUST found a home a few weeks ago for our last one), one who is absolutely unadoptable. My guess is that she's about 16 years old. She weighs maybe ten pounds. I hope so much we find her family. Someone cared about her, to put that coat on her. I hope, I hope, I hope...

No comments:

Post a Comment