Saturday, March 28, 2009

needle felted skunk tutorial

This is my 'learn-as-I-go' tutorial...I took photos as my skunk progressed, in the hope that my learning experience would benefit others! (Note - sorry for the delay in getting this finished...moving turned out to be horribly time-consuming! Booo to things that get in the way of crafting...)

Here are the materials I used to create my skunk:

~Clover multi-needle felting tool
~Clover pen-style needle felting tool (I have one of these available in my eBay store)
~size 38 star-shaped felting needle
~foam felting mat (I bought mine from Joann's)
~black wool roving from Lavender Rabbit
~white merino wool roving from Little Barn Fibers
~a smidgen of pink wool (plain roving from Nordic Needle, hand-dyed by me)
~two black glass Mill Hill beads
~needle and black thread for attaching the eyes

Here are my tools and my wool roving laid out on my felting mat. You can see there are only two needles in my pen tool; that's because one broke when I stupidly angled the needle incorrectly (never try to change the angle of your needle when it's in the wool, or it'll snap!). But I usually use only two needles anyway, so it hasn't been a problem for me:


Step One: the body (click on photo for larger view)


Step Two: finishing up the body (click on photo for larger view)


Step Three: the legs (click on photo for larger view)


Step Four: Attaching the legs (click on photo for larger view)


Step Five: the little skunk head! (click on photo for larger view)


Step Six: the tail... (click on photo for larger view)


Step Seven: the tail, continued... (click on photo for larger view)


Step Eight: fixing the tail (click on photo for larger view)


Step Nine: the ears and face... (click on photo for larger view)


Step Ten: the final details... (click on photo for larger view)


And here's Norman, enjoying a bit of sunlight:


I hope you found this tutorial helpful! If you have any feedback, or requests for future tutorials, I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment