Monday, March 16, 2009

dyeing wool

While I'm sitting here thinking up ways to put off finishing my hemp chokers...when I was dyeing fabric last week, I decided to dye some wool roving just to see how it turned out. I was really happy with the result! The colors came out MUCH lighter than I'd expected, but I think they look like cotton candy.

Of course, I can't wash them in hot water and detergent, which you're supposed to do to set the color, because they'd get felted, so I probably need to look into other dyes to use with roving if I want to dye wool for things that'll have to be washed eventually. But for needle-felted miniatures, it should work fine.


Oh, and here's a pic I took of my latest fabric batch, all neatly bagged and labeled now (and I've sold one piece already, yay!):

No comments:

Post a Comment