Wednesday, September 1, 2010

food

Every now and then I get a wild urge to be creative in the kitchen. Unfortunately, the things I like to cook rarely fall into the 'healthy and slimming' category, so unless I've been able to successfully avoid mirrors for a couple of days, the urge is usually suppressed due to my fat ass fluffy curves. But alas, I recently stumbled across the awesome site foodgawker.com (actually, I didn't stumble across it; my oldest daughter forced me to look at it knowing full well that a foodie like me would be helpless before its siren call), and I HAD to try out some of the recipes I found therein.

The weirdest compulsion thus far: homemade marshmallows. I blame the photo (the source of all evil on foodgawker.com is the photos), which made the marshmallows look like confectionery heaven. The thing is, I don't like marshmallows. Toasted, sure, they're okay, but I'd rather have just about anything else, and plain marshmallows make me gag. Literally. But I couldn't stop thinking about the challenge of making homemade marshmallows, so I finally caved, ran to the store for corn syrup and gelatin (ugh! two nasty ingredients! honestly, it's like I was possessed) and set about following the instructions. I am, at best, a competent cook, so I was more than a little surprised when my marshmallows turned out like, well, marshmallows. They tasted bleh to me, but hubby - a true marshmallow aficionado - says they're "awesome" and much, much better than the store-bought kind.

Dunno if I'll ever make them again, but it was a fun experiment. I even choked down three or four of them, in the vain hope that just because I'd made them they would suddenly taste yummy. Actually, they tasted fine; it's the consistency I hate. But hey, if I've just got to cook fattening, gooey sweet things, better that they should be things I won't eat, yes?

Here are the darling little things. Mine aren't nearly as pretty as the ones on foodgawker. But I made them all by my little self. Go me.

No comments:

Post a Comment